Wednesday 26 February 2014

Pumpkin, Sage and Ricotta Lasagne

Lasagne was never one of my favourites. Truth be told I am not much of a pasta-person and I could probably go months without it. Moreover, of all the pasta dishes, I'd say lasagna would be the dish I've eaten least times in my life. 

I would never go to a restaurant and choose to have lasagna from the menu. However, when I make lasagne at home, which I've started to make more often since it is at the top of my partner's favourites list, I have to admit - it does taste damn good! 

I recently came across a recipe for lasagna using completely different ingredients and I was quite curious to try it out. If you have been reading by blog, you would know that I find trying dishes with a twist to the ordinary traditional recipe quite exciting. 

I gave this recipe a go for the first time last weekend and I know for sure that I will definitely be making this dish again very very soon! I was shocked to find that almost the entire dish was devoured in one sitting, which is surprising considering my partner does not like pumpkin. Between him, my father and myself, there was only a tiny slither left for me to take to work for lunch the following day and I was truly gutted left with the craving for more!

A great dish packed with  flavour! 


                                                 
                                                       * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Ingredients: 

- 1.2 kg pumpkin, cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil 
½ tsp chilli flakes 
- 1 tbsp sage, chopped
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 350 g ricotta
- 250 ml single cream 
- 1 egg, beaten 
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 9 fresh Lasagne sheets
- salt & pepper to season 

Method: 

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees. 

Place the chopped pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chilli flakes. Season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and roast for 25 minutes or until tender. Set aside and allow to cool.

Once cooled, puree the pumpkin in a food processor with the sage and nutmeg. Set aside. 

In a bowl mix together the ricotta cheese, cream, egg and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. 

Lightly grease a baking dish with olive oil. Lay 3 sheets of lasagne on the bottom and spread with one third of the pumpkin sauce, followed by one third of the ricotta mixture. Repeat the process, then finish with a layer of ricotta and sprinkling extra Parmesan cheese on top. 

Bake in a heated oven for 40 minutes or under golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes then serve hot, seasoned with salt & pepper and adding an extra sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. 



No comments:

Post a Comment