Friday 7 February 2014

Chunky (Chicken) Curry

I love spicy food. Skeptical in the past to give it a go, I now regret not trying it out sooner! I truly believe Indian food to be the richest in flavour and I will never say no to a rich Indian curry. 

My friends used to organise curry nights quite often, and that is where eventually my love for curry blossomed. Sooner than I thought, I was suggesting curry nights at least once a month.. it became some what of an addiction at some point I'd say. 

Now, I mostly make the below dish on cold winter nights. The spiciness of the dish tends to give you that warm feeling inside - it's lovely!



                                                      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Ingredients: 

- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying 
- 1 small onion, chopped into chunks 
- 1 carrot, chopped into chunks 
- 1 potato, chopped into chunks 
- 1 marrow, chopped into chunks 
- 1 red pepper, chopped into chunks 
- handful of mushrooms, quartered 
- 1 chicken breast, chopped into chunks (optional) 
- 1 tbslp red curry paste 
- 1 can coconut milk 
- 1 tbsp soy sauce 
- salt & pepper 

Method: 

Chop the vegetables into equal sized chunks. In a heavy based pain, heat up the vegetable oil and add the onion. Fry for 2 minutes or until the onions have softened. Mix in the curry paste and stir to prevent from sticking. Add the carrots, potato, marrows and peppers and fry until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the quartered mushrooms and diced chicken, if using, and allow to brown. 

Once browned, stir in the coconut milk and soy sauce and bring to the boil. Let simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the chicken has cooked and vegetables are tender. 

Serving recommendation: Serve hot with Thai Jasmine rice & warm Naan bread. You can also eliminate the chicken for a vegetarian option or use any other meat of choice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment