Friday 17 January 2014

Buttermilk Pancakes for Breakfast

From an early age I remember being extremely amused by a 'Crepe-maker' my mother used to have in the kitchen. I would invite my cousins over for a session of crepe-making as opposed to a typical game of hide and seek, not that they ever complained. They seemed quite content to assist me in making the crepes and of course would help me devour them later. 


Back then I used to make crepes as a threat for the day, sometimes I'd much rather have a crepe than a bar of chocolate. I've never been much of a chocoholic anyway. Now, quite a few years later and with my mother's crepe appliance gone bust (probably due to over use), I opt to make pancakes instead which are pretty much the same thing only thicker. I don't make these often, but when I do, I usually like to serve them for breakfast. 

The good thing about pancakes is that there are so many variations to choose from. Simply adding a spoonful of cinnamon, or a mashed up banana to your batter can result in such magnificent flavours. What's more, it's not only about what you include in your batter mix but also about what you choose to serve with your pancakes. Maple syrup, chocolate sauce, ground nuts, fruit, ice-cream... not to mention the option of savoury pancakes such as the american style pancakes with bacon. 

With such a vast variety of options to choose from I'd say it's pretty difficult to find someone who is not a fan of pancakes. In my opinion, a stack of pancakes served with maple syrup and fresh fruit is hard to beat for a special family breakfast and I definitely won't let gluten get in the way of that! 


                                                           * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 



Ingredients: 

- 85g rice flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum 
- 1 tbsp caster sugar 
- 1½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- pinch of salt 
- 150ml buttermilk 
- 4 tbsp milk 
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla essence 

- vegetable oil for frying 
- maple syrup and fresh fruit to serve




Method: 

Sift the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt together into a bowl. Add the buttermilk, milk, egg yolks and vanilla, and beat well. Note: If you do not have buttermilk, you can make some by simply adding a few drops of white vinegar to milk. 

In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric beater until stiff. Stir a spoonful of the egg whites into the batter mix to loosen and then gently fold in the rest. 

Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a few drops of vegetable oil and wipe with a piece of kitchen roll. Drop 4 separate spoonfuls of batter into the hot pan leaving plenty of space between them. Spread each one to about 8cm width using a spoon. Cook the pancakes slowly for 2-3 minutes on a low heat so that they cook in the middle. Wait until the base is golden brown then flip and cook for a further 2 minutes. 

Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter (recipe should make 8 - 12 pancakes - depending on what size you prefer). Serve warm, drizzled with maple syrup and a handful of fresh berries or any other fruit of your choice. 







No comments:

Post a Comment